CommVault and Hitachi Data Systems bring advanced data protection solutions
CommVault has announced an expansion of its long-standing OEM partnership with Hitachi Data Systems to provide the industry’s most advanced data protection and recovery solutions to enterprises and IT-as-a-service providers.
New, deeper integration of Hitachi Data Protection Suite, powered by CommVault, with Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) and Unified Storage VM systems helps increase storage efficiency and automates data backup and recovery for application, file systems and hypervisor platforms.
The high-speed recovery of data can lower operating and capital expenses, reduce complexity and risk for Hitachi Data Systems storage customers. They can also deploy Simpana-based hardware snapshot and copy management as a standalone option or integrated with the complete Hitachi Data Protection Suite, which also embeds backup, content-aware retention, deduplication, eDiscovery and search functionality into a single software platform.
“CommVault is committed to driving up efficiency and driving out costs for the enterprise through our vision for modern data management and single software platform architecture,” said David West, senior vice president of worldwide marketing and business development, CommVault. “As our OEM partnership with Hitachi Data Systems enters its ninth year, CommVault is focused on offering innovation for our joint customers that help extend the value of their storage investments and data to transform their business.”
“CommVault continues to deliver innovative data protection technology that our customers demand for emerging use cases and data-intensive environments, whether on premises or in the cloud,” said Mike Walkey, senior VP of global partners and alliances at Hitachi Data Systems. “The enhanced Simpana software features and flexible deployment help Hitachi Data Systems storage customers increase the availability of their data while reducing risks and costs for their business.”
Simpana IntelliSnap technology normalizes and simplifies hardware snapshot management with industry-leading storage and application integrations, eliminating the need for custom scripts, multiple tools and manual processes. Working together, CommVault and Hitachi Data Systems have standardized management of snapshots across Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform or Unified Storage VM systems.
With deepened IntelliSnap integration, Hitachi Data Protection Suite provides a single management console for easier administration, offering innovations and benefits such as:
- Modern, efficient backup and recovery – integrated provisioning and management of Hitachi Thin Image snapshots and ShadowImage volume copies enable fast, space-efficient backup and recovery of application, file and object data at the speed of the hardware array.
- Automation for simplified operations – automated management of Hitachi Open Remote Copy Manager (HORCM) tasks, such as file and pair discovery, speeds time to deployment, maximizes array recovery options and minimizes downtime. The increased productivity also frees up IT resources to focus on other priorities.
- Granular intelligence to increase data availability and access – built-in Simpana awareness for application, hypervisor and file systems enables rapid recovery of individual files, objects and messages. Data is available to support business decisions, test and development and compliance requirements.
Support for heterogeneous physical and virtualized environments including:
- File systems: Linux, UNIX, and Microsoft Windows File Systems
- Applications: Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and SQL Server, IBM DB2 and Notes, MySQL, Oracle and SAP
- Hypervisors: Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware
The full Hitachi Data Protection Suite powered by CommVault is available immediately from Hitachi Data Systems and a joint network of global reseller, systems integrator and solutions providers. The new capacity licensing options allow customers to quickly deploy modern snapshot management as a standalone option, integrated with HDS systems, and seamlessly upgrade later to the complete data and information management platform. The snapshot management-only option will be available in the coming weeks.